Accredited Dental Assistant School
Dental Assistant Careers
Are you looking for a career that offers the opportunity to provide a needed service to others? Our dental assistant school in St. Louis, MO, offers a solid and intense program to ensure that our students acquire the confidence and skills needed to perform the very first day on the job.
Accredited Dental Assistant Training in St. Louis
- Our dental assistant classes utilize state of the art equipment combined with a complete dental operatory to provide a virtual dental office designed to groom students for the actual work environment.
- There is constant one on one interaction to learn about the equipment and the latest techniques used in today's dental field.
- Our classrooms are spacious and efficient for practicing techniques.
Your Career as a Dental Assistant
As a dental assistant, you’ll get the chance to help people improve their oral health while working alongside a dentist or dental hygienist. Though the exact duties of a dental assistant vary from state to state, you will be:
- Seating patients in the treatment area
- Passing requested instruments to the dentist during dental procedures
- Sterilizing and preparing instruments
- Taking impressions of teeth for study models
- Polishing crowns
- Taking and developing X-rays
- Performing laboratory functions such as pouring and trimming models, constructing custom trays, and fabricating temporary crowns and bridges
- Assisting with implementation and documentation of current infection control standards
Your calm and positive demeanor sets a good tone in the dentist’s office and helps patients feel less anxious, so your attitude is a huge part of your office’s reputation. You will have the opportunity to meet many patients and could be one of the first faces they see upon entering the office. Patient retention most often depends on the quality of care patients receive from the dental assistants as well as the dentist.
In addition to the skills you will be learning as a certified dental assistant, you will also learn skills such as:
- Time management, in order to keep the office running smoothly
- Being proactive, in order to anticipate needs and concerns before they arise
- Interpersonal relations to keep patients feeling calm and relaxed and to work effectively as part of a dental team
- Clear communication skills, in order to effectively assist the dentist and understand what patients need
- Observation, in order to learn new procedures, become very familiar with the dentist’s routines, and make sure everything is stored in the right place
Dental assisting is more than a job—it’s a chance to develop a satisfying career that brings you joy each and every day. Getting a great dental assisting job in St. Louis, the state of Missouri, or in another part of the country is just weeks away!
Dental Assisting Program – Accreditation/Certification Information
Dental Assistant program at Midwest Institute is institutionally accredited by ABHES. Graduates of Midwest Institute’s Dental Assisting program are eligible for—and encouraged to take—the National Entry Level Dental Assistant (NELDA) Certification Exam, which is offered by the Dental Assisting National Board (DANB), Inc. Passing the NELDA exam conveys authority to perform duties in those states that recognize the exam or certification as meeting state dental assisting requirements.
In addition, the American Medical Technologists (AMT) offers the Registered Dental Assistant (RDA) examination, which is also available to graduates of the Midwest Institute Dental Assisting Program. The NELDA and the RDA examinations are recognized on a national level.
Graduates are also eligible for and encouraged to take the “Basic Skills” examination, which is offered by the state of Missouri and recognized on a local level.
Dental Assistant Certificate
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of dental assistants is expected to grow by 31 percent from 2010 to 2020, much faster than the average for all occupations. Ongoing research linking oral health and general health will continue to increase the demand for preventive dental services. As dental practices grow, more dental assistants will be needed.
This accredited program is offered at the Earth City campus and Fenton campus.
If you have any questions just contact us and one of our knowledgeable Admissions Counselors will contact you promptly to assist you.
Learn more about what a Dental Assisting Certificate offers.